Here + Now
DOWNTOWN ON THE UPSWING.
- $5 billion in investment since 2006
- 130,000 workers
- 25,000 students
- 12 million visitors
- 7,000 (and growing) residents
What’s working Downtown? Pretty much everything. Architectural and riverfront beauty, affordable real estate, strong development and vibrant residential growth have reinvigorated Pittsburgh’s Golden Triangle.
WE MEAN BUSINESS.
- Top 10 Healthiest Retail Markets in AmericaChainLinks Retail Advisors
- Top 10 Strongest Retail MarketsNation’s Restaurant News, 2011
- Top 5 Best Commercial Real Estate Market in the U.S.Moody’s 2010
You’ll find us on a lot of top business lists, and that’s no accident. Economic indicators, income growth, ongoing construction, rental rate trends and the strong retail demand in the area make us a powerful place to set up shop.
MAKE YOUR MOVE.
- America’s Most Livable CityThe Economist, 2011
- #1 Place to RelocateCNBC.com, 2010
- Most Affordable CitiesForbes, 2011
Pittsburgh’s cost of living is 12.2% below the national average, with the average home price at only $116,400. Crime rate is low and we rank high for arts and colleges. Talk about move-in condition.
COME ONE, COME ALL.
- Hotel occupancy in 2011 was the highest in 10+ years
- 12 million people visited Downtown last year
- Tourism is up 15% since 2010
Numerous sporting events, national conventions and cultural attractions bring people Downtown by the millions. Better yet, they stay. They spend. They come back, again and again.
EXPANDING THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE.
- Hill District: Exciting mixed-use development will connect Pittsburgh’s Hill District neighborhood to the City’s thriving urban core.
- Strip District: Known for energetic street culture and hip loft housing, with planned development of 55 acres of riverfront trails and housing
- North Shore: The new light-rail “North Shore Connector,” extension makes easy access from Downtown to great restaurants, sporting, music and gaming attractions.
The successes of Downtown Pittsburgh (a.k.a. the “Golden Triangle”) are expanding beyond Downtown’s borders and into surrounding neighborhoods.
GET A JOB.
- Pittsburgh has over 1.1 million jobs, more than during its Steel City heyday
- Pittsburgh is one of only five U.S. cities that added jobs over the last decade, and the only one outside of Texas
- Top 10 City for JobsMonster.com, 2011
Pittsburgh’s unemployment rate is consistently well below the national average. A strategic investment in health sciences, technology, green innovations and education makes ours an economy that works. For everybody.
GOODBYE BRAIN DRAIN. HELLO BRAIN GAIN.
- Almost 50% of Pittsburgh’s young adults have a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Pittsburgh has over 60,000 students
- #1 Best City for Recent GraduatesHuffington Post, 2010
- Where the Brains are GoingTheAtlantic.com, 2011
Pittsburgh has one of the most educated workforces in the United States. World-class colleges and universities draw the best and brightest from around the world. Plus, we keep them here. We keep them happy. It’s a targeted effort that has paid off over the last decade.
FIND YOUR SPACE.
- Top Five Best Commercial Real Estate Market in the U.S.Moody’s 2010
- Top 10 Strongest Retail MarketChainLinks Retail Advisors, 2011 + Nation’s Restaurant News, 2011
- Downtown’s office occupancy rate is at an all-time high
Looking to locate here? Downtown boasts more than 30 million sq. ft. of office space, including over 14.3 million sq. ft. of total Class A office space and 1.14 million sq. ft. of vacant Class A office space. We also have an additional 1 million sq. ft. under renovation and another 1 million sq. ft. in new construction, with much more planned. You’ll find diverse options at all price points and competitive rental rates. That’ll work.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT.
For the first time in two decades, more people are moving into Pittsburgh than moving out – a positive trend that shows no sign of slowing down. Plus, Pittsburgh is getting younger. There are more post-college grads living in Pittsburgh than ever before in our history. The notion that we’re an old city is definitely old news.
WE LEAD WITH LEED.
- One of the top cities in U.S. for green buildings
- Coming in 2015: The Tower at PNC Plaza, the World’s Greenest Skyscraper
If you like your cities on the green side, then Pittsburgh is for you. Recently, Pittsburgh claimed more LEED-certified square footage – meaning it had met Leadership in Energy and Design standards for energy-saving design and building techniques – than anywhere else in the United States. Today, we’re close to the top of every green list.
WE LIKE BIKES.
- Pittsburgh is one of the top thirty most bike-friendly citiesBicycling Magazine, 2011
- Bike commuting is up 270% since 2000 – we have the 13th highest bicycle commuting rate in the countryAmerican Community Survey, 2011
Our bike friendly street cred comes from a citywide bike plan, bike lanes, artistic bike racks, and bike racks on buses, to name just a few reasons why you’ll like biking here.
LIGHTS… CAMERA… ACTION!
Russell Crowe…Anne Hathaway…Tom Cruise. What do they all have in common? They were welcomed as Pittsburgh residents, at least temporarily while filming in our city in 2011-12. Thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in economic development have come to Pittsburgh by way of the silver screen, earning us the designation of “Hollywood of the East.”
WE PUT ON A SHOW.
- The Cultural District has the highest concentration of performing arts venues between New York and Chicago
- Pittsburgh cultural events sell as many tickets a year as PNC Park and Heinz Field combined
- The Cultural District attracts over 2 million annually
- Project Pop-Up transforms vacant storefronts into pop-up art and retail destinations
Culture lovers love Pittsburgh. On any given night, the 14-block Cultural District is buzzing with shows, concerts and world-class theater. Numerous restaurants and other businesses that support the Cultural District, say “Bravo!”
GO FOR A WALK.
- Downtown Pittsburgh has a walkscore of 93 or “Walker’s Paradise”walkscore.com, 2012
- One of the Most Secure Places to LiveReality Biz News, 2012
- 2011 marks the 6th consecutive year of historically low crime rates
Pittsburghers are proud of their safe streets and walkable Downtown. There’s a lot going on down here and even better, it’s easy to get to. Getting from point A to point B safely is just about as easy as…ABC.
RUST BELT REINVENTION.
- “Pittsburgh’s story is inspiring and impressive. It was a rusting steel-making behemoth that, through struggle, pain and creativity, retooled itself as a surprisingly vibrant, 21st-century leader in education, computer science, medical research, sports entertainment and boutique manufacturing”
– Howard Fineman, Newsweek, 2009
Pittsburgh is a city steeped in history, and proud of it. Innovation and invention that shaped a nation are an indelible part of our past. Inspired by that spirit, we have again rolled up our sleeves to do the hard work of reinventing ourselves – and setting an example for the entire country – for the new millennium.